Remote Potato finally hits version 1.0 !

General discussion about Remote Potato, plus download and new release information.
Forum rules
No spamming, flaming, or abuse - play nicely!

Remote Potato finally hits version 1.0 !

Postby Carlos » Thu May 19, 2011 8:10 pm

I'm delighted to announced that Remote Potato has finally reached version 1.0. The official release is now available for download from its brand new website.

Notable features since the last stable release include:

• Fully seekable video streaming to web browsers (Silverlight) - pause, rewind, fast forward
  • Fully seekable video streaming to iPhone/iPad/Android clients too
  • Works on Windows XP / Vista : Now you can stream your music, pics and videos from any Windows PC! (Media Center support only on Windows 7)

Silverlight in Web Browser (Windows / Mac):
RP-forumpic1.png
RP-forumpic1.png (81.94 KiB) Viewed 22558 times

iPhone app:
RP-forumpic2.png
RP-forumpic2.png (85.35 KiB) Viewed 22558 times

The new video streaming uses H264 compression so you should see faster, smoother, sharper results, and MUCH less buffering! In fact, I had to develop a whole new product to make this feature possible.

iPhone / iPad Seekable Streaming
This will work straight away. There will be an updated iOS app in a few weeks time, but users of the existing app should find that the seekable streaming 'just works' with no extra updates required.

Other notable new features
There are numerous other additions and bugfixes, including those added in v.98, namely:

- Series Recording Settings (Silverlight): set series record options on a 'per series' basis. (new/reruns, number of eps to keep, padding, etc.)
- IR Remote Control Simulator: use your laptop/phone as a second remote control for WMC. (a common feature request)
- Movie library: (Silverlight): browse and watch all your movies together in one place, just like in Media Center.
- Picture Slideshow (Silverlight): Full-screen or windowed slideshow of your favourite pics with adjustable time interval.
- Deinterlaced video: (Silverlight): now streaming looks better! Get rid of those horrible interlace artefacts when streaming
- AnyFolder Sharing: Option to add any folders you like for video/picture/recTV sharing. (i.e. not just in Win7 libraries)
- HTML Libraries: you can now view your pictures AND videos in the HTML skin, i.e. from any browser - Silverlight not required.
- Picture Folder Zips: download a folder full of pictures as a ZIP file.
- Streamlined GUI: Multiple enhancements to the GUI front-end; looks slick, fancy textures, fancy pants. Finally an end to that awful red thing that everyone thought they could click on.
- Extended padding - up to 30 minutes of padding. (set via Silverlight when making a recording)
- Connection Wizard: Help for first-time users setting up their network and system. Also connection info screen.

I'd like to extend my thanks to everyone who has helped get Remote Potato to this point over the last 18 months since its inception. Your testing, words of encouragement and donations have been appreciated more than you know.

As ever, please post any bugs and support queries here in the forums.

Thank you!

Carlos

FAQ: How to post debug logs | How to clear your browser cache

If you've found Remote Potato useful, please consider buying me a pint. Much appreciated!
Carlos
Head Potato

Re: Remote Potato finally hits version 1.0 !

Postby andreaseide » Thu May 19, 2011 9:31 pm

Congratulations.
Web-page looks great.

Will test v1.0 asap.
--AndreasE--
Remote Potato Forum Moderator.

andreaseide
Wise Potato

Postby bobgentry » Fri May 20, 2011 1:30 pm

Just installed 1.0.

I'm getting an error "could not get directory listing from server"
when trying to list music and pictures

Can you point me in the right direction?

Bob.
bobgentry
New Potato

Postby jagowar » Fri May 20, 2011 1:45 pm

Got 1.0 installed and it works great for me.... My zinoHD can now to normal streaming (but just barely). If only this app supported live tv streaming it would be perfect.
jagowar
New Potato

Postby craigr » Fri May 20, 2011 2:19 pm

Hey the app looks great! However, What audio formats are supported? I can only seem to get my MP3's to play, and unfortunately most of my music is in WMA (Windows Media Lossless) format. I installed the streaming pack and still nothing. Am I doing something wrong or is my music format unsupported? I am running Windows7 and IE9 on both my 7MC and my laptop.
craigr
Raw Potato

Postby Cronan » Fri May 20, 2011 4:08 pm

Amazing app, installed fine, getting an error trying to stream videos to my web browser:

Video Ended - an error meant that the show could not be streamed - 4001 AG_E_NETWORK_ERROR

Looking in the log I see just the same thing, although I'm also seeing large numbers of another error:

Error writing binary stream to storage
EXCEPTION DETAILS: The specified path, filename or both are too long.

Stack trace starts at SilverPotato.FileManager.WriteStreamToIsloatedStorage
Cronan
Raw Potato

Postby Cronan » Fri May 20, 2011 4:12 pm

Cronan wrote:Amazing app, installed fine, getting an error trying to stream videos to my web browser:

Video Ended - an error meant that the show could not be streamed - 4001 AG_E_NETWORK_ERROR

Looking in the log I see just the same thing, although I'm also seeing large numbers of another error:

Error writing binary stream to storage
EXCEPTION DETAILS: The specified path, filename or both are too long.

Stack trace starts at SilverPotato.FileManager.WriteStreamToIsloatedStorage

I should also note that music streaming works fine, and video streaming works over the (excellent) iPhone app
Cronan
Raw Potato

Postby tvaterp » Sat May 21, 2011 1:08 am

Just installed the latest version (1.0). Now iPhone app will not stream recorded shows. Get Remote Potato: There was an error streaming this recording - it could not be played. This wtv format is supported. I am able to connect to server with iPhone.
tvaterp
Raw Potato

Postby Carlos » Sat May 21, 2011 10:28 pm

Please post any issues / bugs in the appropriate forum - separate new thread for each issue.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm not posting this reply in annoyance/anger, it would just be impossible to support all the above issues in one single thread, they need to be posted separately so I / we can help you most effectively.

Thanks

Carlos

If you've found Remote Potato useful, please consider buying me a pint. Much appreciated!
Carlos
Head Potato

Postby josephandrews222 » Thu May 26, 2011 1:08 am

You wrote:

"The new video streaming uses H264 compression so you should see faster, smoother, sharper results"

You need to emphasize this, Carlos...your rewrite of what you have already done...and 1.0.1 (which I just downloaded) is 100% better with the H264...it is highly highly usable.

I haven't taken the time yet to check out the iOS app--have you written it so that it is optimized for the larger screen of the iPad?
josephandrews222
New Potato

Next

Return to General