Early Alpha release - curious/bleeding edge testers only!

General discussion about Remote Potato, plus download and new release information.
Forum rules
No spamming, flaming, or abuse - play nicely!

Early Alpha release - curious/bleeding edge testers only!

Postby Carlos » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:01 pm

Hi all

Are you the curious type who likes to check out new features ahead of stability?

As I'm away on holiday until 10th March, I decided to upload an early alpha version of Remote Potato (v0.98.20) with previews of a few new features:

- Series Recording Settings (Silverlight): set series record options on a 'per series' basis. (new/reruns, number of eps to keep, padding, etc.)
- Extended padding - up to 30 minutes of padding. (set via silverlight when making a recording)
- IR Remote Control simulator: a common feature request: use your laptop/phone as a second remote control for WMC.
- Deinterlaced video: (Silverlight): get rid of the horrible interlace artefacts when streaming
- Movie library: (Silverlight): view all your movies together in one place, like in Media Center. (recorded TV AND any movies folders)


The download link is here.

There will be NO SUPPORT for this version, however I would appreciate any feedback IN THIS THREAD ONLY as to whether the new features work, in particular:

- Series Record Options (Silverlight skin)
- Deinterlacing of video
- Remote Control (I think this is broken, you will probably get the error 'IR HELPER NOT RUNNING')

EDIT: When uninstalling, this release does NOT quit out of the 'Remote Potato IR Helper' app, so you should open this (double click its icon in the system tray) and quit out of it (click the 'QUIT' button) before uninstalling

Happy playtime!

Carlos
___________________________________________________
Carlos P - Lead Developer
Download | FAQ: Support iOS App

FAQ: How to post debug logs | How to clear your browser cache

If you've found Remote Potato useful, please consider buying me a pint. Much appreciated!
User avatar
Carlos
Head Potato
 
Posts: 1505
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: Early Alpha release - curious/bleeding edge testers only

Postby Mihachik » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:08 am

Great additions to the program I looked at it quickly and thought I would post what I noticed in that extremely short test run...

The refresh button thru silverlight doesn't seem to be working, so I cant refresh my recordings list.

The movies library - can't tell if this works or not with my current setup - my movies section contains files in dvd format. Silverlight doesn't show any files or folders when I load this - which is not surprising. I doubt this is a bug, but instead good programming so that files that can't be watched aren't shown. I do have some mp4 versions of the same files that I don't want to add into the wmc movie library as it would create duplicates at a lesser quality. If I could manually add a watched movie folder to remote potato, like you can in the recorded tv section, that would be helpful at least to me, but not sure if anyone else would need that feature.

The series scheduling - seems to work well, but is missing options that I use as my wmc default. Specifically, the HD preferred and Keep as many as possible until space is needed options.

The Remote helper did work on my system after a restart, and generally worked well. Small Issue - Silverlight doesn't let you click and hold a key so scrolling thru lists of items was a little brutal. Possible second issue (for me, probably not for others) the program seemed to interefere with LM Remote KeyMap. I use that, among other things, to redirect volume up / down to my receiver whenever those buttons are pressed - from within WMC / my WMC remote / bluetooth keyboard / and other iPhone remotes. Ater RP install, LM remote reported the MCE blaster was unavailable, so unfortunately, I had to uninstall the beta of remote potato. To be fair, I got LM working again and reinstalled RP beta. This time, LM remote saw the blaster, but no longer responded when the volume up /volume down was pressed - instead wmc volume control responded. After another restart, both LM remote and RP remote worked - and LM remote reblasted volume up / down from the RP remote to the receiver - perfect. Another restart, still working perfectly. So I will see what happens going forward.

The deinterlaced video and padding I will leave to other testers.

Again, great additions to the program,
Andy
Mihachik
New Potato
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:01 pm

Re: Early Alpha release - curious/bleeding edge testers only

Postby PeeWee » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:36 pm

Hi Carlos,

Here are the results of my test runs with the alpha release, especally with the extended padding.

- First, i set the server to 60 seconds pre-padding and 900 seconds postpadding.
- Newly scheduled recordings through the SL Interface already show the server values of 60 secs pre and 900 secs post correctly
- All shows i scheduled with postpadding values up to 30 minutes recorded succesfully with the given postpadding minutes.
- Even a deliberate conflict, entering 30 minutes postpadding when recording show #1 while show #2 was scheduled to begin recording 5 minutes after ending show #1, succeeded. Show #1 got 5 minutes postpadding added, then show #2 started recording.
- Series recordings do not seem to get the server postpadding values added, is that correct?
- The alpha release does not show thumbnails for the recorded shows. They do show in MCE itself.

Quite happy with this alpha release so far :-)
PeeWee
Wise Potato
 
Posts: 229
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:36 am

Re: Early Alpha release - curious/bleeding edge testers only

Postby Carlos » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:24 pm

Just wanted to say thanks to all testers of this release - these updates will be coming to the Tech Preview shortly.

Carlos
___________________________________________________
Carlos P - Lead Developer
Download | FAQ: Support iOS App

FAQ: How to post debug logs | How to clear your browser cache

If you've found Remote Potato useful, please consider buying me a pint. Much appreciated!
User avatar
Carlos
Head Potato
 
Posts: 1505
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: Early Alpha release - curious/bleeding edge testers only

Postby spokanedj » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:43 am

I installed the Alpha version, and so far so good. I got a couple of error about the RPKeySender couldn't start, but it looked like it was already running and trying to start another.

I'm mainly focusing on the API, currently the new multi-port streaming, music, movies and videos. Smart Potato 1.7 already has the support for the dynamic port, if Remote Potato sends the port on the streaming request. All that seems to be working really well.

I noticed there isn't a silverlight command that I can see for the remote control. I tried a couple like /rc/comainand /xml/command and such but none seemed to work. I have the remote control interface built, just can't do much with it right now, unless you can give me a hint on a command I can use for it.
Smart Potato for Windows Phone 7: http://www.ntworld.com
spokanedj
Hot Potato
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:51 pm

Re: Early Alpha release - curious/bleeding edge testers only

Postby spokanedj » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:32 pm

I added a display to Smart Potato to show the Streaming port while buffering, as I was curious at the port selection process. Most of the time it just uses port 9081, so I am assuming it tries them in order until it finds a free one. Last Night I was playing around with the streaming and while skipping I saw it trying to use port 9084, which isn't forwarded through my firewall snf fsilrf. Wierd, since I remember the UI saying "9081 - 9083". So I went into the UI and it had "9081 - 9999" as the ports. Clicking up and then down changed it back to the "9081 - 9083" display.
Smart Potato for Windows Phone 7: http://www.ntworld.com
spokanedj
Hot Potato
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:51 pm

Re: Early Alpha release - curious/bleeding edge testers only

Postby Carlos » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:24 am

spokanedj wrote:I installed the Alpha version, and so far so good. I got a couple of error about the RPKeySender couldn't start, but it looked like it was already running and trying to start another.

I'm mainly focusing on the API, currently the new multi-port streaming, music, movies and videos. Smart Potato 1.7 already has the support for the dynamic port, if Remote Potato sends the port on the streaming request. All that seems to be working really well.

I noticed there isn't a silverlight command that I can see for the remote control. I tried a couple like /rc/comainand /xml/command and such but none seemed to work. I have the remote control interface built, just can't do much with it right now, unless you can give me a hint on a command I can use for it.


It's /xml/sendremotekey/COMMAND

I haven't updated the API online yet, but COMMAND can be one of the following:
Play,
Pause,
Stop,
Ffw,
Rew,
SkipFwd,
SkipBack,
Record,
NavUp,
NavDown,
NavLeft,
NavRight,
NavBack,
Menu,
Info,
DVDMenu,
OK,
Clear,
Enter,
VolUp,
VolDown,
VolMute,
DVDAudio,
ChanUp,
ChanDown,
Num0,
Num1,
Num2,
Num3,
Num4,
Num5,
Num6,
Num7,
Num8,
Num9,
NumHash,
NumStar,
Text,
TextRed,
TextGreen,
TextYellow,
TextBlue,
Subtitles,
GotoGuide,
GotoLiveTV,
GotoRecTV,
GotoPictures,
GotoMusic,
GotoMovies,
GotoVideos,
GotoRadio,
GotoExtras,
GreenButton,
Power
___________________________________________________
Carlos P - Lead Developer
Download | FAQ: Support iOS App

FAQ: How to post debug logs | How to clear your browser cache

If you've found Remote Potato useful, please consider buying me a pint. Much appreciated!
User avatar
Carlos
Head Potato
 
Posts: 1505
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: Early Alpha release - curious/bleeding edge testers only

Postby Carlos » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:27 am

spokanedj wrote:I added a display to Smart Potato to show the Streaming port while buffering, as I was curious at the port selection process. Most of the time it just uses port 9081, so I am assuming it tries them in order until it finds a free one. Last Night I was playing around with the streaming and while skipping I saw it trying to use port 9084, which isn't forwarded through my firewall snf fsilrf. Wierd, since I remember the UI saying "9081 - 9083". So I went into the UI and it had "9081 - 9999" as the ports. Clicking up and then down changed it back to the "9081 - 9083" display.


The port selection process works as follows: For backwards compatibility, port 9081 is ALWAYS used if it is free. If it is not free, then one of the other ports is used, up to the designated upper limit.

I think you may have spotted a bug - looks as though the upper port limit is one higher than it ought to be; I'll investigate. The 9999 thing is probably just an unrelated UI issue.

C
___________________________________________________
Carlos P - Lead Developer
Download | FAQ: Support iOS App

FAQ: How to post debug logs | How to clear your browser cache

If you've found Remote Potato useful, please consider buying me a pint. Much appreciated!
User avatar
Carlos
Head Potato
 
Posts: 1505
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: Early Alpha release - curious/bleeding edge testers only

Postby spokanedj » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:44 am

Carlos wrote:It's /xml/sendremotekey/COMMAND

I haven't updated the API online yet, but COMMAND can be one of the following....


Awesome. Thanks so much. I got all the remote control stuff for Smart Potato working today. However, I'm still having one issue with the custom streaming mode. Since I didn't try it with any previous versions, I'm unable to determine if its only an issue with 98.21 or was in a prior version as well. Whenever I choose custom as the streaming mode and set the Custom* fields, no matter what I send for variables, I can't get it to actually stream. I got audio a couple of times. I also tried to check on the Silverlight interface and except for the de-interlace, I couldn't find a way to specify the custom option with it either?
Smart Potato for Windows Phone 7: http://www.ntworld.com
spokanedj
Hot Potato
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:51 pm

Re: Early Alpha release - curious/bleeding edge testers only

Postby Carlos » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:02 pm

spokanedj wrote:
Carlos wrote:It's /xml/sendremotekey/COMMAND

I haven't updated the API online yet, but COMMAND can be one of the following....


Awesome. Thanks so much. I got all the remote control stuff for Smart Potato working today. However, I'm still having one issue with the custom streaming mode. Since I didn't try it with any previous versions, I'm unable to determine if its only an issue with 98.21 or was in a prior version as well. Whenever I choose custom as the streaming mode and set the Custom* fields, no matter what I send for variables, I can't get it to actually stream. I got audio a couple of times. I also tried to check on the Silverlight interface and except for the de-interlace, I couldn't find a way to specify the custom option with it either?


Yes I'm sorry about that, the 'custom' settings should never really have gotten onto the API documentation page just yet as it's still part of this unsupported alpha release. Please ignore the Custom option just for now for a few more weeks until I get it working. There will be a couple of other small changes to the streaming API too when this alpha (and the remote control API) goes into Tech Preview, but I'll give notice and post on those here (nothing major, and best I hold off on all of them rather than changing things gradually)


Carlos
___________________________________________________
Carlos P - Lead Developer
Download | FAQ: Support iOS App

FAQ: How to post debug logs | How to clear your browser cache

If you've found Remote Potato useful, please consider buying me a pint. Much appreciated!
User avatar
Carlos
Head Potato
 
Posts: 1505
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: London, UK

Next

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron